Thought I would try my hand at a shepherd’s pie.
- 1 – lb. ground lamb
- heavy cream
- sweet red wine
- Wiltshire sauce
- unsalted butter
- preheat oven to 425 f.
- place in chopper ½ onion, shredded or whole carrots and 3 – 6 celery sticks. Chop on the pulse setting until small pieces but not mushy. Set aside
- peal and cut 4 med. potatoes and set to boil. When it starts to boil, cover and leave for 20 mins.
- Spray a lrg. skillet with pam or some other non stick spray,
- On Med. heat fry out the lamb using about a T. Wiltshire sauce and 2 – T. Sweet red wine, add a hand full of Itl. seasoning, mint and a dash of ground salt and pepper.
- when the meat is cooked through (no red showing) add the carrots, onions, celery and peas.
- simmer while you butter the ramekins and prepare the potato topping.
- Take potatoes, drain, add butter cream and salt & pepper. Mash and mix to a creamy consistency.
- Rue (optional): when the meat is in the ramekins, add to skillet drippings 3 T flour, ¼ c. sweet red wine and ¼ c. cream. When well mixed. put a spoon full on top of meat, then cover with the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top and place in oven for 20 mins. Let cool before serving. Makes 6 small portions. Serve with salad and a glass of wine.